Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ubuntu 6.06

Today I installed Ubuntu 6.06 on a Athlon 1.4Ghz machine. I played with a older version a few months ago, and it wasn't bad. I have to say 6.06 is really easy to use. I booted the live CD a to the gnome desktop. From the desktop all I had to do was click the install icon on the desktop, and answer a few questions, and in about 20 minutes it was ready to go. The install came with all the major basic componants, including Firefox and OpenOffice so you could get down to work right away.

When the system was booted it checked for updates and I installed them. The update system was very easy to use, and much prefered the windows update. I like the fact that the update program handles updates to all of the programs that come on the install CD.

I could go on to write more, but I'll close with this for now. If your looking to leave the norm, and try something a little different without being forced to learn a lot try Ubuntu.

No comments: